Tuesday, August 15, 2006

East, West football see increase in numbers

Corning Leader, August 15, 2006

Johnston also credits a more active approach - upon the advice of a respected former coach - to the growth of the West program.

“I talked to (former Chenango Forks and Maine-Endwell coach Dick Russ) about why his numbers we're always so high and obviously success is a big reason, but I think another part of that is he actively went out in the hallways and went to look for athletes that were playing lacrosse and basketball and what not,” Johnston said. “And he looked for big kids that were a little unsure of themselves and got them to play. And I've done that the last three years and it's really increased our numbers. And it's worked in our favor and we're gonna continue to do it. I've gotten my staff to be actively involved. I have them call the kids during the summer and keep in touch with them, so there's communication.”


Click here for complete story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home